Let the Amen Sum All Our Praises

I have been moved by this statement as of late. About a month ago I was asked to be part of a multi-stake choir to sing for the priesthood session of general conference. Of course, I said yes. Because the actual experience of singing during a worldwide conference was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Yet I did not look forward to singing in a choir that big and to the rehearsals. I guess I had a bad attitude and I needed to be taught some new virtues.

You see I don't like big choirs because they don't like it when I do things to stand out. I love theater because even with a small role there are always opportunities to stand out. And if not I make the opportunity.

That is not the case with a large choir especially one that will sing before the world like at general conference. In fact, great effort is made to unify each individuals appearance and especially their vocal quality.

I have always been a "look at me" kind of person. So it is uncomfortable for me to sit back and meld into a group. Yet as u have done this I have enjoyed the spirit of The Lord entering my heart and teaching me about the church and its programs.

Apart from tradition and necessity. I believe there is a significant reason choir is the prominent method for performance when it comes to church meetings. It is because it represents the church as a whole. In the doctrine and covenants The Lord says it this way, he is pleased with the church "collectively" but not "individually." So it is with choirs. No matter the skill or talent of each individual for singing, the whole cancels out the weakness of the one.

Yet with this profound knowledge, I was reminded of by participating in this choir, I learned much more this evening.

Last year I was poignantly moved by a hymn as I stood alone in an unknown environment. This hymn penetrated my heart and comforted my soul. "How firm a foundation." Was that hymn and for the last year, I have been continually uplifted just by the reminder of that hymn.

I have now been reintroduced to three new hymns, Praise To The Lord The Almighty, As I Have Loved You, and Hope of Israel. Each has given me additional reminders of the love of God and his concern for me.

I was moved by the spirit as I felt numberless concourses of angels singing in my heart, lifting my soul as I vocalized these three beloved hymns.

And while singing the third hymn, I was overcome so much as to not be able to contain my emotions. I stood there and sang my voice not cracking if only but a little yet my eyes flowed with the tears of emotions as I praised The Lord. It was as if I was singing alleluias with the children of Israel as they crossed the Red Sea or singing "Come Come Ye Saints" with the saints as they crossed the plains.

And with all of that, I wasn't sure how to quantify my heart and mind to be able to write down this experience. Yet I felt the spirit come to me once again through one of the hymns we performed. In Praise to The Lord the Almighty the fourth verse reads:

Praise to the Lord! Oh, let all that is in me adore him!
All that hath breath, join with Abraham’s seed to adore him!
Let the “amen”
Sum all our praises again,
Now as we worship before him.


So as the final prayer was said and I was also able to add my Amen to the night's events. That line "let the amen, sum all our praises again" taught me through the spirit and I realized that I was not alone with this feeling. And as the choir around me, the congregation as well a the leaders who so eloquently spoke to us, expressed collectively our Amen reached back up to heaven in response to the spirit which reached down to us.

And I realized how blessed I am to be a member I this church. And to know that I am a son of God an have been saved by the mercy I his son. And I again add this testimony in his name Amen.

Comments

  1. Well done today! It was great to see you and hear you as part of a great choir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific blog post, as usual. You have a great gift of expressing genuine thoughts and feelings in writing.

    My experience was much like yours and I was also overcome with emotion singing that final hymn which fit so perfectly with President Monson's closing remarks. Only through the spirit of revelation could such confluence be possible. And to be a small part of that was an amazing and unforgettable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post, Andy. I have sung in General Conference 3 times and in a Temple Dedication once, and there is really nothing like it. When you are joining your voice with others in singing praises to the Lord, with no thought of personal recognition or praise, the Spirit of the Lord fills your soul and you receive a small taste of what was meant when He said "..thy Father which seeth in private shall reward thee openly." (Matt. 6:6). It is also one of those times when you can recognize angels singing with you and bearing you up.

    Well done. I enjoyed the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super awesome! My dad felt the same way that the choir was joined by heavenly choirs. Our stake choir started learning the hymn Praise to the Lord The Almighty along with my oldest daughter for our upcoming stake conference. It has been a special experience to learn that hymn again with new ears--she is eleven and determined to participate in every church music opportunity she can find. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Kedrann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I confess I am an imposter!

Prompt - A stranger walks into the general store and buys a hammer, a hatchet, some rope, and an apple. What’s up?